Here is a list of words, compiled from reading editorials.
These are top 30 most used words, that occurred to me in newspapers lately. I guess keeping it compiled here would be easy to have access whenever required.
- Assassination(noun) – murder, killing.
- Asylum(noun) – psychiatric/mental hospital, mental institution.
- Burkini(noun) – this swimsuit covers a woman’s body. It leaves only her face, hands and feet showing. The name “burkini” combines two words: “bikini” and “burka.”
- Campaign(noun) – crusade, effort, movement; manoeuvre, course of action, strategy.
- Collegium(noun) – the collegium system is the one in which the chief justice of india and a forum of four senior most judges of the supreme court recommend appointments & transfers of judges. There is no mention of the collegium in the constitution of india.
- Conspiracy(noun) – plot, intrigue, scheme, machination.
- En masse(from french) (adverb) – in a mass, (all) together, as a group, as a whole, wholesale.
- Entitle(verb) – give someone a right to do/say something; allow, permit, grant permission.
- Extraneous(adjective) – irrelevant, immaterial, inappropriate, pointless.
- Fury(noun) – severity, intensity, force, forcefulness.
- Flout(verb) – defy, refuse to obey, go against.
- Fomenting(adjective) – provoking, instigating, agitating, stirring up.
- Grim(adjective) – threatening, menacing; upsetting, depressing; disheartening; harsh, unpalatable.
- Hearse(noun) – a vehicle which carries a coffin (a box in which a dead body is buried) to a burial ground.
- Illicit(adjective) – illegal, banned, forbidden, prohibited, unlicensed, bootleg, black market. (something forbidden by society).
- Leak(noun) – disclosure, revelation, divulgence; an act of leaking something secret information intentionally.
- Normalcy(noun) – a normal condition; normality, business as usual, routine, regularity.
- Produnova(noun) – Produnova is an artistic gymnastics vault consisting of a front handspring onto the vaulting horse and two front somersaults in a tucked position off it. This vault is also called the “vault of death” due to its difficulty and likelihood of injury. Dipa karmakar is one of the (only) five women in the world till date who have landed this risky vault successfully.
- Provocative(adjective) – annoying, provoking, inflaming, arousing.
- Rubble(noun) – debris, remains, ruins, wreckage; broken pieces of collapsed building materials.
- Sabotage(noun) – the action of destructing/damaging somethings purposefully so that it does not work as intended; disruption, spoiling, ruining, damage.
- Sedition(noun) – incitement (to riot/rebellion), agitation, trouble making, provocation, inflaming; rebellion, revolt, insurrection, rioting.
- Submarine(noun) – a warship which is with a capacity to operate underwater independently.
- Successor(noun) – heir, descendant; replacement. A person who succeeds another.
- Predecessor(noun) – forerunner, precursor, antecedent. (Antonym of Successor.)
- Surrogacy(noun) – the process of carrying of a pregnancy by surrogate mother for intended parents.
- Trailblazer(noun) – pioneer, innovator, pathfinder, groundbreaker.
- Unrest(noun) – disruption, agitation, turmoil, disorder, chaos.
- Wildfire(noun) – a large destructive fire which breaks out in forest (like area).
- Wreak havoc(idiom) – cause/inflict a massive damage.
Share your list of words and it will be published with your name.
— Disclaimer :
To see the meaning of word by Oxford Dictionary, click on the word. Or just highlight the word to see the meaning from inbuilt dictionary.
The definitions or meanings of words above, are based on my understanding and reading and not that of Oxford dictionary.
The definitions/ meanings are tentative, a summarized out come of internet search.
This list is based on my personal experience and study.